Hiking is a great outdoor activity, it helps us become more active and be more exposed to the environment. It’s also a great family bonding activity since it could be enjoyed by people of all ages. However as the terrain changes it could be more and more difficult for you to go up since you’d need some sort of support to go higher and yet stay balanced A tool that could help you with your balance as well as help you make sure that you won’t step on any uneven surface. Below is a list of the best climbing sticks you can choose from.
- Guide Gear 20′ Climbing Sticks
- Guide Gear Quick Climbing Sticks 3 Pack
- Guide Gear 25′ Climbing Stick
- Lone Wolf Treestands 4 Piece Climbing Stick
- Millennium Outdoors Treestands M210 20′ Stick Climber
- Big Dog 20′ Double-Step Climbing Stick
- Big Dog Treestands Hotfoot Tree Stand
- Rivers Edge Climbing Aid Grip Stick
- What to Look For?
Guide Gear 20′ Climbing Sticks
If you’re looking for something that’s both portable and durable; then this climbing stick from Guide Gear is the perfect one for you. It’s light weight making it easy for you to carry it around while you’re hunting in the woods. This also saves you from ever worrying about your targets knowing that you’re coming because of you carrying around something that’s too heavy for the woods. It’s also very sturdy so no need to worry about the possibility of falling down while you’re using this climbing stick.
Aside from all these great features, this climbing stick is also very easy to assemble making it perfect for beginners. For added safety, the steps are angled so you’re given a sturdier and more comfortable step. It also has buckles that would easily attach to the tree. This climbing stick also received great reviews from previous customers. They were impressed the durability and performance of the stick. They also loved that it’s at such an affordable price.
Guide Gear Quick Climbing Sticks 3 Pack
Looking for something which offers not just one climbing stick per package? Then, this Guide Gear quick climbing stick is the one for you. Each package comes with three packs giving you enough sticks to climb almost any tree of any length. The multiple packs also allows you to climb more trees at the same time making it perfect for bigger hunting groups. It’s also very safe and durable. The welded tubular sticks clamp to the tree safely so no need to fear falling off because your sticks aren’t mounted securely. These also have non-slip features so even if your hands do get sweaty you won’t need to be afraid about slipping and falling off.
This is perfect for who would be going up on higher trees or more trees. It’s also great for those who want something that’s really compact. Aside from these great features, this also received great reviews from previous customers who all were impressed at the safety and durability of these climbing sticks.
Guide Gear 25′ Climbing Stick
Want something longer; then this Guide Gear climbing stick is the one for you. It’s very easy to assemble and dismantle so no time would be wasted just because you can’t figure out just how to attach these to the trees. This quick installation also allows even beginners to use this with no problems at all. This is also very stable so you’ll always be safe. It’s also very affordable compared to other climbing sticks especially considering how long this stick is. It also features five sections so you can choose how long or short your stick would be. The stick also received amazing reviews from previous customers. They loved how secure and stable this is. However there were a few concerns with corrosion.
Lone Wolf Treestands 4 Piece Climbing Stick
If you feel like three packs aren’t enough for you; then why not go for four? This Lone Wold Treestands gives you the ability to climb more trees and higher trees with it’s four piece climbing stick. This climbing is also quick and easy to use so beginners won’t have to be worried about screwing up because there’s no chance that you would. It’s also very portable since the sticks can stack above each other so you won’t have to endure lugging around a heavy set while you’re in the woods. The steps of the climbing stick are also reversible giving you more choices on how to install them.
This Lone Wolf Treestands is perfect for those who foresee climbing higher trees. It’s also great for those who move around a lot when they’re hunting. The only drawback to this climbing stick is it’s price. It’s on the pricier side so more budget conscious consumers might not want to purchase this. Despite the hefty price tag, it still received great reviews from it’s previous customers. They generally praised how easy it is to install and dismantle. They also loved how safe it is.
Millennium Outdoors Treestands M210 20′ Stick Climber
Looking for something durable and would last you a lifetime? Then this Millenium Outdoors climbing sticks might just be the one for you. These sticks are powder coated so they won’t be exposed to as many environmental elements that could make it rusty or less durable. Under the powder finish is a strong steel so no need to be scared about the steps breaking off while you’re climbing. The foot of the ladder is also mounted far from the base of the tree so it’s perfect for those with bigger feet. This also received great reviews from previous customers. They loved how stable it is and how safe they felt while climbing. However, it did receive complaints about being noisy while climbing.
Big Dog 20′ Double-Step Climbing Stick
If you value safety above all; then these climbing steps from Big Dog is the one for you. It features angled double steps which would give you the stability you need while you’re climbing. The double steps would also give you great footing so you won’t need to be afraid about having steps that are too thin which make you prone to slipping off and falling down. The extended parts of the sticks are also great support for climbing. Aside from these great features it also received great reviews from previous customers. They were impressed at how easy it is to install. They also praised it for it’s portability.
Big Dog Treestands Hotfoot Tree Stand
This climbing stick from Big Dog is an ergonomically designed climbing stick. The steps are doubled so you have better footing and stability. The steps are also strategically placed to not be too far apart that it would be too high and also not too close that it would be too uncomfortable for climbing. They are also quick to install and dismantle. They also stack up pretty well so very portable. This also got great reviews from previous customers. They loved how affordable it is and how well it is at doing it’s job. They find it very secure and easy to use.
Rivers Edge Climbing Aid Grip Stick
This River Edge climbing stick gives you the security and stability you need for a great climb. It’s durable and has coatings for protection from outside elements. The steps also have great grip so you’re less vulnerable to falling off. This also received amazing reviews. Most customers loved how secure these sticks are. They were also impressed by the easy installation.
What to Look For?
Even with the list above it can still be difficult to choose the best climbing stick to take on your next trip. You might have your top choices already but you just can seem to pinpoint which one is the best. Maybe you even have your eye set on a single stick but you’re still unsure if it really has everything that you need from a climbing stick. Deciding and choosing can be even harder if you don’t know exactly what qualities to look for. Being fully informed would also ensure that you’re making a smart purchase. So wherever you are in your decision making process, it’s best if you checkout the list below to make sure that you climbing stick would have all that you need.
- Comfortable grip – When you climb up a tree, it would usually take you several minutes before you reach the peak. So you would also be holding onto your climbing stick for almost the same length. Given this, it’s best if the climbing stick you’ll use would have a comfortable grip. This means that the steps was designed to perfectly fit in your hands so you won’t have any strains or redness while you’re using it. The handle should also be, preferably, non-slip so you won’t need to be afraid of your hands slipping while you’re using it. The non-slip features would also be great during hot days when you’re sure to get sweaty hands. Aside from your hands, having non-slip steps would also be a way for you to not slip off with your shoes.
- Length – The length of the climbing stick you’ll get should be compatible to your needs so you you won’t be limited by the trees you can use to mount this.The length would also dictate how high or how low you could get so if you want to have a really high vantage point for hunting then it’s best if you look for something that’s long.
- Portability – When people hunt, they usually take some form of transportation first before we get to the hunting grounds or park. It’s also usual to camp during a trip. Given these circumstances, it’s advisable for you to get a climbing stick that’s easy to keep and transport from one place to another. It should be compact enough that it could fit inside a bag when needed or could be easily be kept inside your tent when you’re camping. Some climbing sticks could be retracted or broken apart for easy transfer so if you think that you’ll need something light and transformable then it’s best to look for something that has this quality.
- Durability – With almost everything that we purchase it’s best if we try to purchase the one which is most durable and would last the longest. With climbing sticks, durability is important especially since your safety also depends on the durability of the product. Getting one which could support whatever weight is also a huge deal because this would make it less prone to breaking due to pressure.
A climbing stick is one of the hunting essentials that any hobbyist should have no matter what the level they are. It allows you to have a better view while you’re hunting and also allows you not just hunt on the ground but also above.. Climbing sticks are also great for guiding you through different kinds of surfaces. It’s great for trying to get a better view while camping. It’s also a faster a safer way to go up on trees. Since it’s portable you won’t need to permanently mount this on any tree giving you better choices of where you can bring your climbing sticks.
We hope that with the tips and tricks as well as the list above that you’d be able to choose the best climbing stick for your next hike. Yes, it may be confusing and frustrating to narrow it down to a single one but just remember that you should look at all the aspects of the stick when you’re making your decision. You shouldn’t focus too much on a single attribute because the other neglected features might be the cause of you regretting your purchase. Although no single quality should dictate what you should buy, it’s understandable if you feel like your choices are limited due to your budget. Just remember that even if you have a limited budget you shouldn’t settle for the cheapest one at once instead you should scrutinize it first. The cheapest might cost you more in the long run because you had to get it fixed or replaced. On the flip side, if price isn’t an issue, you shouldn’t get the most expensive under the impression that it’s the best because it might very well have the same exact features as another one that’s cheaper. Keep in mind that the mark of a great deal is purchasing a quality climbing stick at a great price.