Young girls can have fun dressing up their own baby dolls. They can also find joy in playing pretend with their baby dolls. I’ve spent countless hours during my youth pretending that my Cabbage Patch was my own child.
However, baby dolls aren’t just made for playing since they can be added to an adult’s collection. Kids aren’t the only ones who can find joy in purchasing a doll because there are several adults who enjoy collecting baby dolls to add to their memorabilia.
There are several kinds of baby dolls of various shapes, designs, and sizes. There’s always a baby doll that can conveniently fit your budget.
Let’s start our quest in finding the best baby doll!
- JC Toys, La Baby 11-inch Washable Soft Body Play Doll Designed by Berenguer
- Paradise Galleries Lifelike and Realistic Newborn Baby Doll Over The Moooon, 19 inch Sleeping Baby in GentleTouch Vinyl
- Manhattan Toy Baby Stella Peach Soft Nurturing First Baby Doll
- Melissa & Doug Mine to Love Jenna 12-Inch Soft Body Baby Doll With Romper and Hat
- Baby Starters Plush Snuggle Buddy, Sugar N Spice Doll
- Gund My First Dolly Stuffed Doll
- Melissa & Doug Mine to Love Brianna 12-Inch Soft Body Baby Doll with Hair and Outfit
- La Newborn Nursery 8 Piece Layette Baby Doll Gift Set
- What to Look For
JC Toys, La Baby 11-inch Washable Soft Body Play Doll Designed by Berenguer
With four different nationalities to choose from, you can feel like you’re raising your own child with this realistic baby doll from JC Toys. At eleven inches and eight ounces, you can enjoy playing with this soft baby doll that has been designed by Berenguer. It is made with a vinyl material that has been carefully dressed in a matching outfit and hat set.
Anyone who’s over the age of eighteen months can enjoy playing dress up with this doll that comes with an easy to remove clothes and a body that can be cleaned for pretend bathing session. Your kid can play house with this doll as they can hold and care for this baby doll. Kids can easily carry this around and cuddle with this doll.
This might even be a nice and cheap way to teach your toddlers about how to care for infants!
Paradise Galleries Lifelike and Realistic Newborn Baby Doll Over The Moooon, 19 inch Sleeping Baby in GentleTouch Vinyl
The average height of a newborn child is similar to the size of Paradise Galleries Lifelike and Realistic Newborn Baby Doll. At nineteen inches and a hefty price tag, caring for this doll is comparable to caring for a newborn baby. It is designed and patterned to appear like a real baby as the details on this doll has been carefully made by hand, such as this doll’s eyelashes and hair.
These dolls have been clothed with a black and white cow-printed pajama that comes with a matching pink baby bonnet. You can even dress this baby doll up with newborn clothing. For baby doll collectors, this newborn doll is made with vinyl materials and it comes with a certificate of authenticity and a collector’s box to ensure that you can maintain the condition of the Paradise Galleries Doll.
You will surely be over the moon with Paradise Galleries’ Over The Moooon Lifelike and Realistic Newborn Baby Doll!
Manhattan Toy Baby Stella Peach Soft Nurturing First Baby Doll
This doll might not have a lifelike appearance, but it can be nostalgic to several girls as it is similar to our first dolls when we were children. I personally find this doll appealing as it allows me to remember my childhood. It evokes memories of using the doll to roleplay, which has encouraged me to release a certain sense of creativity. This doll can also allow your child to gain a sense of responsibility if they care for this doll like an actual human being. When my sister was about to give birth to her second daughter, she gave her first daughter the Stella Peach doll in order to prepare her for the role of being an older sister.
She practiced changing the nappies with the Peach doll and she also enjoyed using the pacifier that came with this doll. When my sister gave birth, my niece immediately warmed up to her baby sister as she has already understood the concept of having someone she needs to care for.
Melissa & Doug Mine to Love Jenna 12-Inch Soft Body Baby Doll With Romper and Hat
If you’re into playing dress up with your doll, the Melissa and Doug Mine to Love Jenna Soft Body Baby Doll has a removable romper and a matching bonnet that can be altered to your preference. You can buy another set of clothes for your doll or you can sew a set that can fit the Jenna doll This baby has cheeks that are similar to babies and you can happily cuddle the Jenna doll.
It has a lifelike feature as the bright, blue eyes on this doll can open when you pick it up or close when you rock it to sleep and the Jenna doll’s mouth has a slight opening, which allows the doll to suck their thumb or use a pacifier. The Jenna baby doll also allows for easy clean up of the arms and the legs.
Baby Starters Plush Snuggle Buddy, Sugar N Spice Doll
Most little girls have baby dolls for their first toy and the Sugar and Spice doll is the perfect doll to give as your first gift to your daughter, niece, granddaughter, sister, or goddaughter. It is made with pure polyester materials, soft fabric, and satin lining, which make this doll that perfect cuddle buddy.
Your little girl can have fun while playing with this girly doll that is clothed with a pink tutu and black shoes. You can dress up your kid in a similar fashion and arrange their hair in a pigtail. Clean up is also a breeze as the Sugar and Spice doll is machine washable. You can keep this doll clean and fresh at all times, which makes it the perfect sleeping companion.
The cheapest doll of the bunch might not be ideal collector’s item, but the Sugar N Spice doll is an ideal snuggle buddy.
Gund My First Dolly Stuffed Doll
With the highest review among the dolls on this list, the quality of Gund’s My First Dolly Stuffed Doll is hard to beat. You can choose between a brunette or blond doll and have fun playing pretend with this doll that is ideal for kids of all ages. The young at heart can also find joy in owning this doll as they can enjoy the unique and detailed eye and nose embroidery on the My First Dolly.
There is no need to hand wash this doll that has been clothed in a pink polka dot dress and a floppy hat as you can safely wash this doll with a washing machine. The embroidered parts on the My First Dolly make it safe to use for children.
Melissa & Doug Mine to Love Brianna 12-Inch Soft Body Baby Doll with Hair and Outfit
Another Melissa and Doug baby doll is the extremely charming Brianna doll. Girls who are over the age of one year and six months can enjoy the Brianna love. You can comb the shiny brown hair on this doll and allow it to suck on their thumb or a pacifier, which is fairly typical behavior for an actual child.
Like a regular child, you can also cradle the doll while allowing it to lie down and sit up. With this doll’s sweet smell and soft body, you can have the perfect cuddle buddy. You can also play dress up with the Brianna doll as the pink dress on this doll is removable.
La Newborn Nursery 8 Piece Layette Baby Doll Gift Set
For a more realistic experience, the LA Newborn baby doll is not just an ordinary baby doll, as it comes with an entire gift set. This fourteen inch doll can either be a Blue Smiling, Pink Smiling, Pink African American, or Pink doll. You can play dress up with the LA Newborn Nursery 8 Piece Layette Baby Doll Gift Set, as it comes with a short-sleeved bodysuit, short-sleeved shirt, a pair of booties, hat, cloth diaper, diaper cover, and even a hospital bracelet to complete the experience.
Kids over the age of two can enjoy this doll as this has met Toy Safety Requirements because it is made with a non-scented and washable vinyl that ensures the durability of this doll. Your child can also play with this doll while they’re taking a bath as it is safe to use even when submerged in water.
What to Look For
Types of Baby Doll
- Reborn Dolls – The Reborn dolls are meant to appear like real babies. They are famous among collectors due to its accurate and lifelike features. Apart from the realistic appearances of the Reborn dolls, they also come with birth certificates, adoption sheets, and hospital bracelets that produce an experience that is much more real for the owners. They are made using delicate layers of vinyl and meticulous paint and they are patterned to imitate real infants.
- Antique Dolls – Older dolls that have been considered vintage are popular among collectors, as well. The dolls that have been manufactured from the past centuries are worth thousands of dollars even they have remained in mint condition. These dolls are often restored to increase their value and they are kept in display glasses, in order to maximize the life span and maintain the appearance of the doll.
- Modern Baby Dolls – Since the turn of the 20th Century, there has also been an increase in the production of realistic baby dolls. The original dolls produced in the 1950’s that are still kept in their original boxes are worth hundreds of dollars. The four most popular baby dolls are Kenner’s Baby Alive, Mattel’s Chatty Cathy, Ideal Company’s Betsy Wetsy, and the Cabbage Patch Doll.
- Cabbage Patch Doll – These are dolls that have been born in the Babyland General Hospital with a corresponding birth certificate, name, and birth date. If you’re looking for the original Cabbage Patch Doll, it is made with an onion-shaped vinyl head and cloth body. They also come with a diaper and multiple hair, eye, and skin colors.
- Kenner’s Baby Alive – The Baby Alive is popular among people who wish to practice caring for a child or those who want to remember how it was to care for an infant. You can feed, change, and clothe the Baby Alive dolls. You can feed the Baby Alive with a dehydrated baby food that you can feed to the baby, which allows the baby to soil their diapers. The Baby Alive has also added several modern features that allow for a more lifelike appearance. You can now potty train the doll and make it drink from their sippy cup.
- Mattel’s Chatty Cathy – The original Chatty Cathy can baby talk using a pull-string that prompted a low-fidelity phonograph to speak 11 different phrases. The original Chatty Cathy was a female doll with blonde hair and blue eyes, while their male counterpart was named the Tiny Chatty Brother. As time went by, Chatty Cathy came with different skin, hair, and eye colors.
- Ideal Company’s Betsy Wetsy – This is one of the original baby dolls of the modern times. This is the first drink-and-wet dolls, which has made this baby doll a popular collector’s item.
The most important part of the entire care process is ensuring that the baby doll is clean. Dirt in your baby doll can decrease the value of the doll. It is important to wash the face, and not wash off the doll’s face. You can use cotton bud for cleaning the ears and eyes of the doll, while a toothbrush can be used when cleaning through your baby doll’s fingers and toes. You can use a wet wipe or a tissue to clean the face of the doll. The occasional vacuuming can also benefit your doll.
Whether you’re using the baby doll for play or for display, you need to put some care into the doll. Caring for the doll isn’t simply about cleaning the doll; it also involves a certain kind of TLC. There are other people who even treat their baby dolls like a real child.
When you treat the doll as a collector’s item, you can even profit from your ownership of the doll. Get your hand on several antique baby dolls that are in perfect condition and are still in the original packaging. You might even be one of the first collectors to build a Baby Doll Museum!
Play with it or display it, but what’s important is that you take good care of your doll!