When you get your leg or foot injured you’d usually be advised to rest it for a certain number of days. Most of this period is spent resting in bed but when you’re ready to go around and about you’d now use crutches to help you get from point A to point B. This would also help you when you go to therapy since you’d have something to constantly support you. Although hospitals usually sells their own crutches it’s best to look for one that fits you perfectly. Below is a list of the best crutches in the market.
- iWALK2.0 Hands Free Crutch
- Hugo Mobility 721-785 Hugo Aluminum Crutches
- Medline Aluminum Forearm Crutches
- Mobilegs Ultra Crutches
- Ergoactives Ergobaum® Prime
- Drive Medical Euro Style Crutches
- Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Steel Forearm Crutch
- Millennial Medical In-Motion Crutches
- What to Look For?
iWALK2.0 Hands Free Crutch
Are you dreading the use of crutches because of it’ll give you less freedom to move around? The fact that crutches also needs the use of your hands is something that most people prescribed with crutches aren’t looking forward to. They find that it limits their movement and also doesn’t allow them to use their hands while they’re walking. If you want a crutch that’ll give support to your injured lower limbs but is hands free then this iWALK2.0 might just be the one for you. You just prop your knee on the top and you’re good to go. Using this type of crutch is more convenient that conventional ones. However, manufacturers do have a set of prerequisites for those who want to purchase this. Such as having great balance and not needing to use railing when going up and down the stairs before you were injured.
The iWALK 2.0, is one size fits all and would give you the support you need no matter what your height is. A lot of people also appreciate great customer support when they buy products so you’d be glad to know that iWALK offers you this. They have a hotline you can call in case you have any questions or any problems with your product. This dedicated team can also assist you in case you’re having difficulties with walking using the iWALK 2.0.
Hugo Mobility 721-785 Hugo Aluminum Crutches
If you prefer using a conventional underarm crutch but would want to have one that’s lightweight; then these aluminum crutches from Hugo might just be what you’re looking for. Since it’s made of aluminum its lightweight and yet extremely durable. Despite being light, it can support weights of up to 300 lbs without any difficulties. The crutches are also adjustable so you can make it longer or shorter depending on your height. It has a dual push button adjustments and has height markers on the inner tube so you’ll know which length is best for your height. The crutch tips are curved giving you better stability when going up and down the stairs.
This is a great lightweight crutch and is perfect for those who don’t want to exert too much upper body strength while they walk with the crutches. It also received mostly positive reviews from customers. They loved that the manufacturers put indicators for the height and length of the crutches so they’ll be better guided regarding which height is the best for them. They were also impressed at the comfort that the handles give them.
Medline Aluminum Forearm Crutches
If you’re looking for crutches you’ll be using long term then this Medline forearm crutches might just be what you’re looking for. It has telescoping parts which has internal bushings for completely silent use. The arm cuffs are contoured, tapered, and are vinyl covered so it’s durable and perfectly fit your forearms. It has black components which help hide signs of wear after prolonged use.
These crutches are specifically designed for those who would be needing crutches long term. This is a perfect fit for teenagers to adults so you can use it as you grow if you start using it while you’re young. This received mostly positive reviews from costumers. They liked that the crutches could be adjusted depending on the height you’re comfortable with. They’re also impressed at the comfort that these crutches gives them.
Mobilegs Ultra Crutches
These Mobilegs crutches are fully adjustable so you can be sure that whatever your height is it’ll fit you. The handgrips are ergonomically designed so you won’t feel any strain even after you’re walking with it for a few hours. It also has technology to support you while you walk. The legs aren’t straight and are instead offset so there’s less chance for you to trip and there’s hip clearance as well. It has an articulated saddle design which means that it twists and moves with your body so you can move freely and quickly.
This received great reviews from its customers. They loved how comfortable the crutches feel. They claim that they didn’t feel any pain or soreness like they usually feel on their armpits like with other crutches. They also didn’t get any bruises which is usually an after effect with usual crutches.
Ergoactives Ergobaum® Prime
When you’re not using your crutches, you need to store them somewhere. With most crutches which are bulky and long, it’s hard to look for a place where you can keep them and they also usually are too bulky for when you travel. If you’ve been looking for crutches that wouldn’t pose these same problems then these ones from Ergoactives might just be what you’re looking for. They’re foldable so it’s easy to transport them from one place to the next. This also makes it easy to keep them while you’re not using them.
Aside from being portable, these crutches are also extremely comfortable. They give you enough support so you won’t experience any knee, arm, or hand pains. It also has shock absorbers to reduce impact while walking and standing. This also helps reduce and even eliminate any discomfort while using the crutches.
Drive Medical Euro Style Crutches
If you want something stylish, then this Drive medical crutches might be what you’re looking for. It has a plastic hand grip which is stylishly designed to not only look good but feel good as well. It’s lightweight so you won’t need much effort while you’re walking. The height can be adjusted to fit your height and what length you’re most comfortable with.
This received great reviews from customers. They were impressed at the durability of the crutches. They also liked how light it is and that it needs almost zero effort. They also liked that you can adjust the height depending on their comfort level. However, they did say that the hand grips, although stylish, gives no cushion so although it’s comfortable the first few times it gets uncomfortable after you’ve used it a couple of times.
Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Steel Forearm Crutch
Looking for something that would also give you stability? Then, this Drive Medical steel forearm crutch might be just what you’re looking for. It has extra large crutch tips so stability is almost guaranteed. The leg and the forearm areas also adjust independently of each other so you won’t have to be faced with mismatching lengths due to single adjustment. It has vinyl hand grips which promise comfort and cushion.
This received mostly positive reviews from its customers. They liked the overall built of the crutches and how durable it seems. They were also impressed at the level of support that they get from these crutches. These forearm crutches also gives them the independence they need since they’re essentially handsfree. They also liked that the tips were extra wide because of the stability it offers and they’ve also noticed that these last longer than smaller tips.
Millennial Medical In-Motion Crutches
This Millennial Medical crutches has springs their tips. These spring allows you walk easier and with additional support. This also gives you stability since the spring would help you maneuver as you walk. The articulating crutch tips are great for when your going up and down stairs because these would help you be less vulnerable to slipping or tripping. It has ergonomic handles that gives you comfort and prevents you from having redness or sores in your hands.
What to Look For?
Even with the list as well as the tips and tricks we’ve provided it might still be difficult for you to choose and narrow down your choices. Whether you have your top choices and can’t seem to narrow it down to a single one or you already have your top pick; you should still check out the qualities that great crutches should have. This way you’ll know that you’re getting one that’s of a great quality. Below is a list of the qualities that would help you look for the best crutches for you and your needs.
- Type – There are two main types of crutches: standard underarm crutches and forearm crutches. The underarm crutches are the common ones we see which goes under the underarm and has handles where your hands rest and lift you up. It’s also called auxiliary crutches and usually are made of wood or aluminum. This is usually used by those with temporary injuries like a broken foot or knee. Forearms crutches, on the other hand, are recommended for those who have additional body injuries or those who would be using crutches for a longer time. It has cuffs that goes around your forearms for added support and less strain your upper body.
- Comfort – Since you’d be using these crutches for prolonged periods of time, you should definitely consider whether or not it’s comfortable to use. If it’s an underarm crutch, you should look for something which has a cushion such as a foam on the handle as well as the upper part which goes under your underarms. If it’s a forearm crutch, the cuffs shouldn’t be gripping your elbows too tight and should still give you enough space so your forearms won’t be too sweaty.
- Size – The size of the crutches that you’ll get should be fitted to you. This would make you less vulnerable to additional injuries and also help in your overall comfort. Having the right sized crutches also helps you have better posture since you won’t be crouching if its too short or tilting if its too tall. The size also dictates the strength you’d need to use the crutches. The taller and heavier it is, the more upper body strength you’ll exert just to move from one location to the other.
- Good quality crutch tips – Having crutch tips which are of great quality is a must they give the initial support and lift you need to walk. The size of the crutch tip is also important. Bigger crutch tips offers more stability than smaller ones because have a wider base that’s in contact with the ground. You should also check what type of crutch tip your crutches have. Of course there are the normal ones that aren’t too special, but there are also those that have springs to help you walk easier and with less effort.
Overall, crutches are great to have. They help you be mobile even if you have a problem with one or even both of your feet. It gives you independence and helps you not to rely on other people while you’re injured. Unlike wheel chairs, crutches exercise your limbs so your legs would still get normal circulation and hopefully this would help you to recover and get on your feet again. Crutches also exercise your arms and give you good upper body strength.
Hopefully, with the tips and tricks we’ve provided as well as the list above that you’d be able to choose the best crutches for you. Just keep in mind that when making a smart purchase you should consider the totality of the product. You should look at how long it lasts and not just the price. We know, that the budget is the most limiting factor when purchasing crutches but it’s cheaper in the long run if you’ll get one that’ll last and is trusted by fellow customers. This would ensure that you’re getting something which satisfies the needs of customers like you.